The first time I went to Las Vegas, there was one place I knew I had to go. That place where everyone’s at least a passing Trekkie. Well, alas, it is no more. The Las Vegas Hilton got rid of it years ago, but I still miss it. I guess that it wasn’t bringing in the big bucks like its Elvis impersonator. Yes, these grapes are sour.
If you’ve never been, I’ll paint the scene from memory: You walk in and get in line and see a few prop exhibits and a Trek timeline. But, the real fun starts when you get into the interactive Borg invasion. The Borg Queen tops my list of villians because of her detached ruthlessness. She was a bad mamajamma! The simulation was dated, but I didn’t care because it was the closest I’d ever get to being on a starship. Then, after you won, you could go into the Enterprise simulation and sit on,the Bridge and play an officer. Again, it felt more like a science museum exhibit, but it was great for any trekkie. Afterward, you could hang out in Ten Forward, drink some Romulan ale and chop it up with the Klingons wandering around. The highlight for me was being choked by a Klingon female. Then, of course, there was a neat gift shop with pretty good memorabilia.
Vegas felt a little emptier without any sort of Star Trek attraction there. So, here’s to sadness.
FYI: I hear there is a nice convention coming in August. Check it out if you get a chance.
Y’all seemed to enjoy the Miguel’s an Alien post, so I’m thinking of regularly expanding upon that by highlighting other black folk who fit the bill. They, of course, aren’t actually aliens (that we know of), but some of their shenanigans deserve a long side-eye stare.
The thing is when you have special powers, it’s just so hard to stay in line.
Any suggestions for whom to highlight?
I’m not sure that we’ve talked about Voyager on this blog yet, but my favorite series is a constant toss up between TNG and Voyager. I really liked Kate Mulgrew as Captain Janeway despite the critiques of her style (and, her interview in “Captains”). Below, is a short clip showing the two actresses who were competing for the role. Mulgrew brought so much gravity and charisma (and a ‘I’ve been smoking and drankin’ since before you were born-voice’) to it that it is surprising that the other actress was even considered. Peep it.
See, this is why he’s my favorite captain:
And, shouts to Lemonsweetie for rocking an awesome Trill costume.
Ah yeah, this might truly be the first truly esoteric black trekkie post ever. I think you had to be black and born some time between 1975 and 1980 to appreciate the phrase “kirk out”. So, let’s get into it.
Does anyone know how this became a black cultural idiom? I have no idea. The funny thing is when you say it, almost every black person knows exactly what it implies–you went temporarily (read: batsh*t) insane. In most situations, you’ve tried your best to keep your cool, but someone or a situation kept trying your patience and…finally, IT, whatever IT might be, was on! You were done negotiating, trying to be heard, waiting patiently, listening to reason, trying to be empathetic, whatever. You, David Banner, turned into this raging Hulk of a person that not even your momma could calm down:
John: Yo, I was driving today and this mickey flickey cut me off. I couldn’t believe it when he flipped me the bird after I honked at him. Yo, seriously, I almost got out of the car and KIRKED the ****(optional) OUT on that cat! He better be glad I had a meeting because, otherwise, y’all would have been seeing me on the news at 6, yo.
Homie: I’m glad you didn’t, man. Not over something so silly.
Now, we all remember that Captain Kirk said “Kirk, out” whenever he signed off communications. We also know that Captain Kirk was forever going off-script and just flying into rages, but how did this enter the black vernacular? Not sure, but I’m glad it did. It is such a effective, concise way of conveying about 50 curse words at once.
Anyone else have ideas?
We just turned 1 year old! Woot! Hosting the blog has been a fun, creative outlet so far. It turns out that “Black Trekkies” is the top search term that is leading people to find the Black Trekkie blog. I knew we were out there! And, it appears that we are searching for one another. It’s been a fun year and we have bigger and better things planned for the future.
SO…if you happen onto this blog and find it funny and/or interesting, become a guest poster. If you just want to hang, leave a comment and subscribe.
I’d love to have more activity on the blog and offering alternative insights into the Trek would be great. And, please post comments and follow Black Trekkie. Every click gets us a little closer to the Delta Quadrant. Just kidding, it just lessens the distance between us.
We can even have an awesome Gorn/Kirk-style play fight. We’ll figure out what the fight was about later. Keep checking in, I’m looking to hear from you!
In the split second it took for me to realize that the girls who Miguel accidentally jumped on were okay, I dissolved into giggles. It’s a reflex. I feel so bad and I’m so glad they are okay. But, honestly, I think this is proof-positive that Miguel’s an alien. I think he miscalculated gravity on our planet for a moment. Yeah, that’s it…he just forgot which planet he was on.
1. Miguel, you ain’t Prince. Prince is somewhere laughing his size 0 behind off. He’s said again and again that performers today need to stop trying to be like him. See what happens– your nads land on someone’s head. We all know Prince is an alien. Prince might be like Michael Jordan in Miguel’s galaxy?
2. Did he really have on 4-inch boots? Those will be exhibit A in the civil trial that is sure to follow. Those ain’t anti-gravity boots, homie. Those are Rick James boots, best for crushing dirt into a couch. Dude is like 5’2; what did he expect to happen? Seriously, them joints looked like the heel was reinforced steel.
3. There are some bright sides in all this: Miguel definitely wasn’t lip-syncing, the girl who took the brunt was okay and she seemed really happy to meet Miguel. Well, she probably didn’t want to meet his crotch first…but yeah. That’s probably a mating ritual where Miguel’s from…
4. From now on, when Miguel starts to do the crazy shimmy dance, people will know to duck like they are at a Gallagher show. Was that little dance his species’ way of gathering energy from the universe to power such a jump?
5. I got a little weak inside at the old chick who bent down to help the girl until Miguel grabbed her. She tossed her away like a dead fish! I immediately heard TLC’s “What About Your Friends” playing. I guess the girl code ain’t what it used to be. Why was she in the mosh pit anyway? Hm, maybe this is a broader conspiracy?
All jokes aside, Miguel is an excellent performer and I hope he doesn’t end up having to work a second job at Burger King to pay for that girl’s long term care bills.
Miguel, Nanoo-Nanoo and sh*t, if you see this. Try a little harder to blend in next time.